Friday 30 March 2007

It Came From Outer Scotney!

Far back in the mists of ancient time in the great and glorious days of my late teens, I had an idea.

Not a very good one. But an idea nonetheless.

I sat down and started writing a script. This is no mean feat for a guy that can't plot, has no idea how to imbue his characters with anything even remotely close to personality and...

well.... can't write.

But too hell with it I thought! I would try to write one episode of this opus a week, I would then meet up with some mates of mine, Richard, Peter, Adrian and once or twice Emma, and head for our massively hi-tech recording studio.

Ok... that was a lie. The Studio was half a porta cabin located in a car park at Pembury Hospital. It was mostly a hotch-potch of whatever equipment they could lay their hands on, so the show was recorded, in mono, on a Revox reel to reel machine. The recordings tended to take place between midnight and the early hours because that was the only way we could make sure the studio wasn't occupied.

So over a period of about 2 months we managed to cobble together six episodes of this Sci-Fi comedy.

Supposed comedy anyway.

Bear in mind that we were all in our teens, it was early in the morning and we were all high on caffeine. I think I also got a bout of food poisoning from a sandwich that I bought from a vending machine that we nicknamed "Robbie."

The version that I have set the links up too are not the originals however. After George Lucas released the "Star Wars Special Editions" I thought that I too should revisit my masterpiece. I copied the original reel to reel tapes onto CD and then ripped the CD onto my PC.

I removed pauses, fluffed lines (though not all because some were funny), added new sound effects and music cues and generally tightened the whole thing up.

And in true George Lucas style I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the "Classic" versions, until there is a massive public outcry and I am forced to release them!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aha!!! After all this time I finally track you down!! Finally, Flatulence Man can reek... reak... do revenge on The Phantom!
Actually, I've always thought of ICFOS as an opus worthy of comparison with War & Peace (at least, the dustjacket of War & Peace).
As soon as I get home from work, I'm going to listen to (and pass judgement on) your tinkering!

Be a lert...