Sunday 1 April 2007

New Who!


Just finished watching the first episode of series 3. I have been watching this show since I was a kid and have always loved it no matter how "uncool" it became in the 80's.

Well that's not really true, during the Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy years my patience was severely tested. I stuck with it though.

The new episode was fun, but I'm beginning to tire of the histrionics of some of the new shows. Screaming, shouting, fast editing and all manner of noise. I know I sound like a grumpy parent but it seems to me that the show often hits 100mph from the first frame and then never lets up. This leaves little room for light and shade, with intimate character moments squeezed into the smallest possible spaces between shouting aliens and whizz-bang special effects.

That said, it's still the best bit of family entertainment on telly at the moment. Lets face it, what other family show on TV this Saturday night had vanishing hospitals, alien rhino police and blood sucking old ladies!

No comments: